Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.”

It is reported that Shurayh – Allaah have mercy on him – said, “If I am afflicted with a calamity, I praise Allaah for it four times: I praise Him because it wasn’t worse than it was, I praise Him when He gives me the patience to bear it, I praise Him for enabling me to say al-istirjaa’ (‘To Allaah we belong and to him we will return’; see Al-Baqarah: 154-156 ) in hope of a great reward, and I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.
Adh-Dhahabi, Siyar A’laam An-Nubalaa', in his biography of Shurayh Al-Qaadi.


--
‘Abdullâh ibn ‘Abbâs – may Allâh be pleased with him – said,

“Love for Allâh and hate for Allâh, make your enmity because of Allâh and your allegiance because of Allâh; for indeed, the love and support of Allâh is not achieved save through this. And a man will never taste true faith (îmân) – though he may pray and fast much – except when he is like that. Today, the people’s brotherhood is based upon worldly considerations (dunyâ), but this will not do anything for them on the Day of Resurrection.”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 353

No comments:

Post a Comment