Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Closing the eyes during Salah


 Fatwas of the Permanent Committee>Group 2>Volume 5: Fiqh – Salah 1>Disliked acts during Salah>Closing the eyes during Salah


The first question of Fatwa no. 14283
Q 1: It is an act of Sunnah (acts, sayings or approvals of the Prophet) to look at the place of Sujud (prostration) during Salah (Prayer). But, when I offer Salah behind an Imam (the one who leads congregational Prayer) and close my eyes, I feel more Khushu` (the heart being submissively attuned to the act of worship) and reverence.
(Part No. 5Page No. 379)
Closing my eyes helps me ponder the meanings of the Ayahs (Qur'anic verses) which the Imam recites, the relation between these Ayahs and the universe, and what it contains of miracles that assure the Power and Might of Allah. But when I open my eyes to look at the place of Sujud as the Prophet (peace be upon him) ordered us to do, I become afflicted with Waswasah (Insinuating or obsessive thoughts instigated by Satan). What is the ruling on this?
A: During Salah, it is prescribed that the Muslim should look at the place of Sujud and not close their eyes; for they are engaged in an act of worship in which they speak privately to their Lord and ask Him His Mercy. ImamMuslim and others related that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “Let the people who lift their sights towards heaven during Salah desist, or else their sights will be taken away.” Also, Al-Bukhari and Muslimnarrated that The Prophet (peace be upon him) offered Salah wearing a Khamisa (a marked woolen garment) with marks on it. Thereupon, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The marks on it diverted my attention, take this (Khamisa) to Abu Jahm and bring an Inbijaniyah (unmarked garment) (from him).” If it was permissible for a person to close their eyes, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) would have closed his eyes to avoid being occupied by the marks of the garment. Therefore, you should look at the place of Sujud and try to ponder the recitation and supplications, and to suppress the insinuations of Satan.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.
The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

MemberDeputy ChairmanChairman
`Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan`Abdul-Razzaq `Afify`Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz



Browse by Volume Number > Volume 9 > Book of Salah > Adhkar and supplications said during Salah and after Taslim > Closing one's eyes in Salah


Ruling on closing one's eyes in Salah
Q: What is the ruling on closing one's eyes while offering Salah (Prayer)? In fact, I keep my eyes closed while performing Salah in order not to look here and there and thus be distracted from Salah. 
A: Closing one's eyes while performing Salah is Makruh (reprehensible) and is not a Sunnah (action following the teachings of the Prophet). The Sunnah is to keep one's eyes open and not to close them unless needed, in which case there will be nothing wrong with it. The proper practice is that one should lower one's gaze and look at the place of Sujud (prostration) so that one might reach the stage of Khushu` (the heart being submissively attuned to the act of worship). Actually, the Sunnah is to behave as such. Closing one's eyes is not Mashru` (Islamically prescribed) being Makruh or even, according to some scholars, an act of the Jews.
Q: While offering Salah, I close my eyes, which makes me concentrate more. Seeing me do so, a friend of mine told me that this is impermissible and Salah as such is invalid. Your Eminence Shaykh, what is your opinion? 

(Part No. 9Page No. 230)
A: Closing one' eyes while offering Salah is viewed by scholars to be Makruh. Nevertheless, it does not affect the validity of Salah. In this regard, there is nothing wrong with closing one's eye, which is even viewed by some scholars to be permissible in case it is more likely to lead to Khushu`. However, the more correct view is that you should not close your eyes while offering Salah, an act that is viewed by some scholars to be practiced by the Jews while offering their prayer. To sum up, it is better for you not to close your eyes at all and to try to reach Khushu` without closing your eyes. Actually, this is more preferable to be on the safe side. Either way, your Salah is valid even if you close your eyes, for opening one's eyes is not a condition for the validity of Salah.
Q: While offering Salah, I can only concentrate when I close my eyes, which helps me not to think about worldly affairs. Although I seek refuge with Allah at the beginning of my Salah, I still get distracted, which makes me feel sad. What is your opinion on closing one's eyes? 
A: You should do your best to be mindful of your Salah and supplicate to Allah (Exalted be He) to help you do so. Moreover, remember that you are standing before Allah and that He (Glorified and Exalted be He) sees you. In fact, a believer who stands for Salah should know that Allah is watching over him and should be mindful of
(Part No. 9Page No. 231)
Allah's Greatness (Glorified and Exalted be He). Thus, you should pay much attention to this matter, exerting effort to remember that you are standing before Allah and that Allah directs His Face toward His Servants who offer Salah. So, you have to do your best to be mindful and reach the state of Khushu` without closing your eyes. In fact, closing the eyes is Makruh and thus it is more preferable not to do it. Moreover, some scholars hold that it is an act of the Jews and it is better not to do it. However, you should look at your place of Sujud, show submission to Allah, and remember His Greatness and that you are standing before Him doing your best in this regard and hoping for the best.
Q: I feel that closing my eyes while offering Salah causes me to be more mindful. Is it permissible for me to do so while offering Salah? Guide me, may Allah reward you with the best. 
A: It is better not to close ytour eyes. You should accustom yourself not to close your eyes doing your best to be mindful.
Q: Is it permissible for me to close my eyes while offering Salah, bearing in mind that I am more mindful when I close my eyes? 
A: It is better not to close your eyes. In fact, some scholars are of the opinion that doing so is Makruh.
(Part No. 9Page No. 232)
Accordingly, it is preferable not to close your eyes. However, there is nothing wrong with closing your eyes, and doing so does not invalidate Salah. As we stated earlier, a group of scholars view it to be Makruh and, thus, it is preferable not to close your eyes. Al-hamdu lillah (All praise is due to Allah).
Q: While offering Salah, I close my eyes. Is this correct? 
A: It is preferable not to close your eyes. However, some scholars hold the view that closing the eyes is unobjectionable if it leads to a better state of Khushu`. Nevertheless, the majority of scholars are of the opinion that the Sunnah is to open the eyes while doing one's best to concentrate and be mindful while standing before Allah (Exalted be He).


No comments:

Post a Comment